The complex series of Steel Bridge ramps leading to and from Harbor Drive and NW Glisan Street is clearly illustrated in this 1952 aerial photo. The coal gas storage tank is long gone, along with every other building you see here. The Portland Classical Chinese Garden is on the block in the extreme lower right corner.
Here’s a different angle of the intersection that we first saw back in February. This 1943 view of NE Nicolai & Yeon was taken from just out of the frame to the left on the earlier photo, this time looking east. According to the Trolley Map of Portland, those tracks carried the Sellwood Trolley all the way down to Southeast Portland.
Virtually unrecognizable as we know it today was the intersection of SW 1st and Lincoln Street, looking north, in 1963. The South Auditorium Urban Renewal area had been completely cleared and streets were being rebuilt and repaved here. The pre-remodeled auditorium can be seen in the distance. The intersection can be seen in this aerial view of the area from 1935 (pre-urban renewal), just below photo center. Light rail will be coming through this intersection in the future.
This is another house from the City of Portland Archives at an unidentified location. What’s known is that it was somewhere in Southeast Portland and the photo date is 1929. It appears to be a pretty distinctive triplex so if this is still around, it should be easy to spot, right?
The 1882 Greene’s Building sat on the northeast corner of SW 1st and Alder Street. The cast-iron-fronted building was almost architecturally identical to the 1881 Ladd Block farther down 1st Avenue at Columbia Street. Greene’s Building was demolished in 1956 to make way for the Morrison Bridge on-ramp.