Cheerful Tortoise at 1939 SW 6th Ave, February 1964

Oregon is home to many archives, most rich with collections documenting Oregon’s history. In order to highlight some of these collections containing Portland-area images, Vintage Portland has invited photo submissions from other archives within the region. Today’s photo and text is provided by the Multnomah County Archives.

A snapshot of the Cheerful Tortoise, a long-time watering hole at PSU looking far older in 1964 than it does now. Any information on when the north addition to the building took place would be appreciated. This and some 300 other images comprising a block-by-block photographic documentary of the Portland State College district between 1962-1966 can now be found in PSU’s Digital Gallery.

 

 

Municipal Auditorium , 1966

City officials at the Municipal Auditorium marking the beginning of the renovation of what would become the Civic Auditorium [Keller Auditorium], July 14, 1966. The officials include Frank Ivancie, Ormond R Bean, and Mark A. Grayson.

 

City Council at the Auditorium, July 14, 1966: A2012-005

City Council at the Auditorium, July 14, 1966: A2012-005

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.