These two gentlemen look like they work at Crouchley Plumbing Co. rather than J.R. Chauncey Jeweler. The businesses in 1931 were at 204 and 204-1/2 N. Jersey Avenue; that’s 8709 N. Lombard using today’s street numbers. The Crouchley Plumbing Co. has been in business since 1907 and you can still walk into their office two doors down at 8717 N. Lombard.
What we know as Willamette Park today was in 1941 an undeveloped riverside parcel. The Portland Shipbuilding Co. complex is at SW Nebraska St. at the top of the photo. A 1943 article in The Oregonian stated, “During the last 16 months, Portland Shipbuilding Company, the oldest boat-building plant in Oregon, has turned out more than a mile of of barges for the army, navy, and maritime commission, and now is dropping one a week into the Willamette River.” It continued to repair and rent wooden barges until 1964. Macadam Ave. is at far upper left.
Recent removal of heavy vegetation at the corner of SW 18th and Mill St. Terrace has uncovered this partial foundation. Could this be part of the old Portland Cable Railway that ran up the hill to Portland Heights? It’s a interesting site, showing a mixture of brick and concrete construction, and there’s an almost buried curved staircase visible. For all you urban archeologists out there, now is the time to get exploring as vegetation removal could be the first step in development of the lot. Be careful out there and remember, this is private property.
The D.E. Keasey & Co. real estate people didn’t just put out the ad shown here a couple weeks ago. They also distributed this beautiful hand-drawn illustration of Portland Heights and surrounding areas. The great perspective shows Ford Street Bridge (Vista Avenue Viaduct) in the lower right all the way to Council Crest and Castle Point in the distance. Thanks to VP fan Scott Smith for providing this beauty. As always, click the image to zoom in on the detailed goodness.
Very cool 1910 photo of W. Burnside looking east from 19th Avenue through the intersection at 18th; Alder angles off to the right. Burnside was actually Washington Street at this time; Burnside ended where Washington angled in from the east, and Washington continued on to 23rd where it became Barnes Road. A number of buildings seen here are still around.
The c1892 Coeur d’Alene Building and the 1883 Spaulding Building on SW 1st Avenue between Clay and Columbia are highlighted in this feature article in The Oregonian of August 1, 1965. The one-page feature, outlining plans for the a second urban renewal project just north of the South Auditorium Urban Renewal District, can be seen here.
(The Oregonian. Retrieved from http://infoweb.newsbank.com)
Although this photo is labeled NW, I’m pretty sure it’s looking at the south side of Burnside at 5th Avenue. The Crown Zellerbach building (seen in upper left) was on the south side, and the buildings to the right appear to angle south of Ankeny. It was probably rare to see a lone woman walking in this part of town as we see here.