It appears the Anderson’s Food Market staff is cleaning sidewalks and stocking produce for another business day at SE 82nd & Powell in 1939 1937. Parking a delivery truck at the curb in those days didn’t seem to be a traffic problem like it would today. We’re looking south on 82nd here.
NOTE: Other photos of this area indicate this dates to 1937, not 1939.
Fourth Street, now SW 4th Avenue, looked impressively wide in this 1907 image looking south through Stark Street. Pantages Theater was on the southwest corner and the extant 1898 Oregon Pacific Building can be seen another block down on the right. The tall building on the immediate left is the Chamber of Commerce building.
This 1938 aerial photo covers much of the heart of the old South Portland neighborhood. Except for some of the area below the inked-in double line, virtually everything here was flattened for the South Auditorium Urban Renewal Project, the Stadium Freeway (I-405) or the PSU campus. One could almost match up this photo with last Friday’s image just a bit south of here.
This fine home sits just a half block east of the Mt. Tabor Presbyterian Church we visited a couple weeks ago. Located at 5631 SE Belmont Street, the Jacob H. Cook home is an excellent colonial revival example. Even the low block wall is still beautifully intact.
The days of horse-drawn fire apparatus were nearing an end when this 1915 photo in front of Fire Station 16 was taken. Drive by the building at 1436 SW Montgomery St.; it still looks much the same today, minus the horses.
Another image of the May 1948 flood that swamped many low lying areas along Portland’s waterfront. This photo looks north along NW Front from under the Steel Bridge ramp. Union Station is to the left and the Broadway Bridge in the background. The industrial property along the right was decades away from becoming McCormick Pier Condos.
Wood frame buildings were still common on SW 6th Avenue in 1914. The street looked like an entertainment area of sorts with many bars, pool halls, theaters and restaurants. The new and elegant 12-story Wilcox Building, at left at the intersection with Washington Street, was a sign of a growing city. This view is south from Stark Street.