The Brainerd Victory

Oregon is home to many archives, most rich with collections documenting Oregon’s history. In order to highlight some of these collections containing Portland-area images, Vintage Portland has invited photo submissions from other archives within the region. Today’s photo and text is provided by the Oregon Maritime Museum.

The Brainerd Victory was launched from Oregon Shipyards in St Johns on September 12, 1945 and was fully completed November 1945. The vessel was Sold to Pope &Talbot who renamed it the P&T Voyager in 1951. In 1962 Pope & Talbot sold the vessel to Smith Shipping who renamed it the Smith Voyager. The Voyager sank in 1964 after her cargo of wheat shifted 780 miles southeast of Bermuda. All hands were rescued.

Oregon Maritime Museum