Long before the Pearl District became a trendy shopping and residential area, and even when it was a gritty industrial area, it contained single family homes and rooming houses. This circa 1925 photo shows NW 10th Avenue at Irving street looking north. The large structure on the far right is the back of what we know today as the Ecotrust building. And amazingly enough, a portion of the wall on the left, including door openings and steel shutters, still stands at the corner with Johnson Street. The block is in the center of this aerial photo taken in 1939 after the wooden structures had been removed.
A winter snow covers the southeast corner of NE Union Avenue and Thompson Street in this 1929 image. Although modernized over the years, the building still retains its basic configuration. The first few houses on Thompson were not so lucky; they’ve been razed to make way for commercial expansion.
Monday’s images of Ainsworth Elementary School sparked a conversation about the building partially hidden in the trees on the right. That was originally the Portland Heights Club, shown from the opposite (south) side in today’s top photo in the early 1960s. The footbridge from the end of SW Spring St. to St. Helens Ct. can be seen to the left of the building. The bottom photo shows the old W.H. Fear home, just uphill from the club. The photo of the club was probably taken from the Fear property which was razed in the early 1960s to make way for the Ainsworth classroom annex building. Thanks to VP fan “wl” for sending in these scans from the City of Portland Archives.