Portland State, 1964

Oregon is home to many archives, most rich with collections documenting Oregon’s history. In order to highlight some of these collections containing Portland-area images, Vintage Portland has invited photo submissions from other archives within the region. Today’s post is provided by the Architecture, Engineering & Construction Archives at Portland State University.

This image captures Portland State’s early campus expansion period during the mid-1960s. Closest to us is the College Center building (now Smith Memorial Student Union) in the process of acquiring its next few levels and a library. The mansion across the street is the Jennings House sitting next to the Counseling and Testing Center and State Hall (later Cramer Hall). The Jennings House is where students registered for classes and rather than demolish it when Cramer Hall was expanded in 1969-1970, it was preserved and relocated a few blocks south to the corner of Broadway and Jackson where it burned down shortly thereafter. Also pictured is Old Main (now Lincoln Hall).

 

SW Park - SMSU, BA, CH, and LH, ca. 1964, Campus Photographic Inventory Records, Box 364, Architecture, Engineering & Construction Archives, Portland State University

SW Park – SMSU, BA, CH, and LH, ca. 1964, Campus Photographic Inventory Records, Box 364, Architecture, Engineering & Construction Archives, Portland State University

 

Access the PSU Architecture, Engineering, and Construction Archives by clicking here.

Copyright: This image is owned or held by the State of Oregon, acting by and through the State Board of Higher Education, on behalf of Portland State University, Capital Projects and Construction. It is made available to the public for educational and research use as defined within the parameters of “fair use” under U.S. Copyright law. By accessing, copying or downloading this file, you agree that your use falls within this definition of fair use. Any other use, including commercial reuse, mounting on other systems, or other forms of redistribution requires written permission from Capital Projects and Construction, display of the preferred citation, and the payment of any applicable fees.

SW Harbor Drive, 1942

The men in this image are gathered for the opening of SW Harbor Drive, November 20, 1942. From left to right are Mayor Riley, Gus Bucholz, W.H. Lines, Herb Sichel, Commissioner Peterson, Henry Cabell, Robert Farrell, Philip H. Parrish, Mack. Second Row: Alec Aitken, Major Joseph K. Carson, Commissioner Kenneth L. Cooper, R.H. Baldock, and City Engineer Ben Morrow.

 

Opening of SW Harbor Drive, Nov. 20, 1942: A2010-019.110

Opening of SW Harbor Drive, Nov. 20, 1942: A2010-019.110

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

SW 5th Avenue, 1962

The Cinnamon Bear outside of Lipman, Wolfe & Co., November 23, 1962. Looking northeast from the corner of SW 5th Avenue and Washington Street.

 

Cinnamon Bear on a ladder outside of Lipman Wolfe and Company, : A2004-002.6705

Cinnamon Bear on a ladder outside of Lipman, Wolfe and Company, 1962 : A2004-002.6705

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

Washington Park, circa 1940

Back in April 2013, a similar aerial of the Washington Park area was posted. This image provides a closer look at the reservoirs and the rose garden, circa 1940.

 

Aerial of Washington Park reservoirs, circa 1940: A2005-005.1442.1

Aerial of Washington Park reservoirs, circa 1940: A2005-005.1442.1

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.