Finishing the year at a Vintage Portland fan favorite spot, the west end of the Ross Island Bridge, circa 1952. This view, looking southwest, shows what appears to be newly installed on- and off-ramps and connectors to Harbor Drive at the top. All the houses at the bottom of the photo are gone, as are all but four immediately beyond Failing School at right-center. I-5 now cuts along the bottom left corner. Compare with this view of the same area from 20 years earlier.
The Fred Meyer store and two gas stations still anchor corners at the intersection of N. Interstate and Lombard Street as they did in 1956, but the photographer whould now be standing in the middle of the Max tracks headed toward the Expo Center.
The 1933 Portland Public Market building was demolished in 1969 to make way for an extension of SW Harbor Drive. This view is south from the end of Morrison Street; the building stretched three blocks, ending where Salmon Street Springs is now. Not too many years later Harbor Drive itself was removed for Tom McCall Waterfront Park.
George Holman and his associate did business at 2072 NW Glisan back in 1936. This spot, minus the big window, is now a back door at the Blue Moon Tavern & Grill at 21st and Glisan. The door to the left belongs to the Westonia Apartment building next door.
This stretch of SW 2nd Avenue, where it crosses SW Taylor, was dominated by parking lots in 1958. World Trade Center Building 1 would rise on this lot on the immediate right. The Strowbridge Building can be seen in the right distance on SW Yamhill Street.
The “Old Crosby House” was the first frame residence in Portland. According to “The Centennial History of Oregon, 1811-1912” this “first palatial residence in the new city” was built by Captain Nathaniel Crosby in 1847 on the southwest corner of 1st and Washington. It was later moved to this location on the east side of 4th Avenue between Yamhill and Taylor Streets. That location today is approximately the exit of the parking garage on that site.