Following yesterday’s post is another look at SW Barbur Blvd, this time a neat aerial from circa 1934. This time the view is to the north with SW Hamilton running left-right across the center. To this day there’s still a little pull-off where the car sits at the far left. Thanks to Scott Smith for sending this gem.
Circa 1882 Portland was only on the west side of the river as Albina and East Portland had not yet been annexed. To call this North Portland, as the label states, makes sense but it’s most definitely Southwest Portland now. The view is similar to this earlier VP entry where we look north on the block between SW 11th and 12th; The Old Church is nearing completion in the center. There are some handsome mansions fronting the South Park Blocks on the right; the side-by-side white Italianate homes belonged to brothers Ralph and Isaac Jacobs.
Albers Bros. Milling Co. and the Albers Docks were quite a complex along the western Willamette riverfront a century ago. The tall central structure with the grain silos is all that remains today. Although dated circa 1915, this illustration would have predated the 1913 Broadway Bridge which now skirts those silos as it crosses the river. The far north end of Union Station is at left and a very smoky industrial Northwest Portland stretches out beyond.
Nothing remains of the magnificent home of Drs. Henry and Viola Coe, built on the northwest corner of NW 25th & Lovejoy. He owned and operated the Morningside Hospital and was very active in business and politics. He commissioned and donated four statues that still stand in Portland, most notably the golden Joan of Arc in Laurelhurst. Dr. Viola Coe was “was an ardent worker for woman suffrage” according to her 1943 Oregon Journal obituary. She was acting president of the Equal Suffrage Association when Oregon women achieved the right to vote in 1912, substituting for an ill Abigail Scott Duniway. Thanks to Ed Teague at University of Oregon Libraries for the suggestion.
This was a bit of Portland’s City Park Zoo in 1898. The pond in the center was the water fowl exhibit and the bit of water seen to the left was the seal pond. Now a part of Washington Park, this little bit of land is in the very northeast corner of the park and is called The Dog Park. It faces W Burnside here where it begins its uphill climb; SW Osage St. is just off the right edge.