SW Lincoln Street , circa 1929

Here is another view of the inactive reservoir we posted last week at SW Lincoln Street and SW 6th Avenue, circa 1929.

 

Inactive reservoir site at SW 6th Avenue and SW Lincoln Street, circa 1929: A2008-009

Inactive reservoir site at SW 6th Avenue and SW Lincoln Street, circa 1929: A2008-009

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

 

SE 48th Avenue, 1932

These men are digging trenches for sewer repairs on SE 48th Avenue, between Sherman and Lincoln streets. The photo, taken in 1932, is facing north towards Lincoln.

 

SE 48th between Sherman and Lincoln, April 15, 1932 : A2000-025.248

SE 48th between Sherman and Lincoln, April 15, 1932 : A2000-025.248

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

 

The Number Man

We don’t know the “Number Man’s” name, but after some digging we do now know what he was doing and what the numbers mean. As many have suggested on this site, the numbers are related to City public works projects. In the photograph below you can see the “Number Man” holding a sign with number 234 which corresponds to NE Beech and Union. Below that is a portion of the Public Works map for the street widening project. You’ll notice his number corresponds to the map’s number for the lot at the northeast corner of the intersection. The lengthy project records for the widening of Union (MLK) from NE Going to SE Lincoln include a text description and a number for each property affected by the widening project. For major projects such as street widening, the Department of Public Works created maps showing the affected properties and gave numbers to the corresponding locations. Public Works also created many records that describe the value of each property and how the owners would be compensated for their losses.

3708 NE MLK (at Beech), 1929 : A2009-009.1014

3708 NE MLK (at Beech), 1929 : A2009-009.1014

Partial map (3708 NE MLK), 1929 : C 4331

Partial map (3708 NE MLK), 1929 : C 4331

 

View this image on Efiles by clicking here.

SE 39th & Lincoln, 1934

The corner shop at SE 39th and Lincoln is still with us today, minus the awning. The grass parking strip has been lost to another lane of traffic for Cesar E Chavez Blvd., so it doesn’t look quite as suburban and quaint as it did in 1934.

(City of Portland Archives)

SW 1st & Lincoln, 1963

Virtually unrecognizable as we know it today was the intersection of SW 1st and Lincoln Street, looking north, in 1963. The South Auditorium Urban Renewal area had been completely cleared and streets were being rebuilt and repaved here. The pre-remodeled auditorium can be seen in the distance. The intersection can be seen in this aerial view of the area from 1935 (pre-urban renewal), just below photo center. Light rail will be coming through this intersection in the future.

(City of Portland Archives)