4th Avenue Extension, 1933

The clearing process in the 4th Avenue extension, now SW Barbur Boulevard. This view is looking south along SW Barbur Boulevard (the 4th Avenue extension) toward SW Arthur Street, showing where old train trestle had been torn down, 1933.

 

City of Portland Archives, Oregon, A1999-004.451

City of Portland Archives, Oregon, A1999-004.451

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

Stanton Yard, 1931

Organization of Depression era crews at Stanton Yard in North Portland, April 10, 1931. The City of Portland Department of Public Works engaged in many public employment programs during the Great Depression designed to help ease local area unemployment.

 

City of Portland Archives, Oregon, A2000-025.125

City of Portland Archives, Oregon, A2000-025.125

 

View this image if Efiles by clicking here.

Front Avenue, 1939

In 1941, the Oregon Art Project of the Works Project Administration wrote Portland’s Commissioner of Public Works and proposed that this photo of Portland’s Front Avenue be the basis of a painting for his office. The photo was taken two years earlier by Minor White (1908-1976), then employed as “creative photographer” for Oregon’s Federal Art Project, looking south from the Burnside Bridge. The painting apparently was not made before the WPA closed down, so White’s photograph preserved a view that was soon lost when the buildings were demolished and Harbor Drive opened. White went on to a distinguished career in photography, teaching, and writing. He and others included this iconic view in later retrospectives of his work, but its presence at PARC reminds us of its New Deal origins.

______________________________________________________________________

Our guest contributor, Dr. Kenneth Hawkins, compiled the first archival inventory of Minor White’s WPA negatives at the Oregon Historical Society in 1979, before moving (as did White) from Portland to Rochester, New York, to pursue photography and studies. He joined the National Archives in 1993. Recently he has updated the inventory and mapped it to White materials in other repositories, now including PARC.

 

City of Portland Archives, Oregon, A2001-008.202

City of Portland Archives, Oregon, A2001-008.202

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.