SW 6th Avenue, circa 1955

A parade at SW 6th Avenue and SW Pine Street with the Errol Heights fire engine, circa 1955.

 

City of Portland Archives, Oregon: Parade at SW 6th Avenue and SW Pine Street with Errol Heights engine, A2001-083, 1955

City of Portland Archives, Oregon: Parade at SW 6th Avenue and SW Pine Street with Errol Heights engine, A2001-083, 1955

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

SW Washington Street, circa 1951

SW Washington Street looking west from SW 6th Avenue, circa 1951. This image shows the street after implementation of the “one way” grid. The Plaza Hotel, United Artists Theatre, Weiners, Sherman Clay, Payless Drugs, and Roblee are visible.

 

City of Portland Archives, Oregon, A2005-001.697

City of Portland Archives, Oregon, A2005-001.697

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

SW Alder Street, 1962

Looking southeast along SW Alder Street towards the Morrison Bridge, 1962. Richman Bros. Company and J.J. Newberry Company are visible.

 

City of Portland Archives, Oregon, A2010-002.305

City of Portland Archives, Oregon, A2010-002.305

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

Cheerful Tortoise at 1939 SW 6th Ave, February 1964

Oregon is home to many archives, most rich with collections documenting Oregon’s history. In order to highlight some of these collections containing Portland-area images, Vintage Portland has invited photo submissions from other archives within the region. Today’s photo and text is provided by the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction Archives, Portland State University.

A snapshot of the Cheerful Tortoise, a long-time watering hole at PSU looking far older in 1964 than it does now. Any information on when the north addition to the building took place would be appreciated. This and some 300 other images comprising a block-by-block photographic documentary of the Portland State College district between 1962-1966 can now be found in PSU’s Digital Gallery.