Sellwood Carbarn, 1913

Workers at the Portland Railway, Light and Power Sellwood Division carbarn pose in front of the Oregon City and Estacada trolley cars. The Sellwood carbarn was at SE 13th Avenue just south of Linn Street. Thanks to Gary Kyle for sending this photo from his personal collection; the man standing at far right, 2nd row (in white shirt, brimmed hat and overalls) was his grandfather.

sellwood carbarn 1913(Gary Kyle)

NE Russell & Union, 1937

That building on the east side of NE Union Avenue at the end of Russell Street today is a blank wall of sheet metal paneling; this 1937 photo shows the storefronts underneath the paneling. The old grocery/soda fountain on the right is also a nondescript commercial building today. The corner doesn’t have as much character as it once did.

A2005-001.534  NE Russell St looking east 1937(City of Portland Archives)

Fourth Street, 1907

Fourth Street, now SW 4th Avenue, looked impressively wide in this 1907 image looking south through Stark Street. Pantages Theater was on the southwest corner and the extant 1898 Oregon Pacific Building can be seen another block down on the right. The tall building on the immediate left is the Chamber of Commerce building.

A2004-002.749 SW 4th from Stark 1907(City of Portland Archives)

Broadway Bridge Ramp, c1947

Officials of some sort stand on the west end of the Broadway Bridge ramp around 1947. The St. Johns trolley bus is probably continuing south on Broadway; turning right would take it down the Lovejoy ramp.

A2005-001.67 Broadway Bridge Ramp west end bridge 1947(City of Portland Archives)

SE Hawthorne & 50th, 1936

A Works Project Administration crew applies plenty of human muscle to a rail project on SE Hawthorne at 50th avenue in 1936. In the background a bus heads downhill from Mt. Tabor. Did the bus replace the trolley line?

A2000-025.1148 Crew doing street resurfacing SE Hawthorne and 50th(City of Portland Archives)

NW 16th & Overton, 1921

A few of the buildings shown here looking south on NW 16th from Overton still remain; the brick A.G. Long building, the present-day Slabtown building and the Bjelland Apartments at Lovejoy. And I have a feeling all those rails and cobblestones are still under 16th Avenue’s surface today.

(City of Portland Archives)