Our Number Man finds himself standing in front of three near-identical houses on the northwest corner of NE Union Avenue and Stanton Street in about 1929. This was probably in preparation for widening of Union Avenue, as seen in several other photos here recently.
The Sunday Oregonian published these “Park Possibilities of the Lewis and Clark Exposition Site” illustrations in its October 30, 1904 edition. Artist F.A. Routledge created idyllic scenes for the future Guilds Lake site.
(The Oregonian. Retrieved from http://infoweb.newsbank.com)
The Vintage Portland staff is taking Thanksgiving week off. We’ve recently passed our four-year anniversary with almost 1,000 entries so we’ll be back next week refreshed and ready to go again. Enjoy!
Just an absolutely brilliant photo of the Ross Island Bridge under construction. The view is to the northeast as the main span girders are joined in the middle. Although it’s mystifyingly dated 1937 on the front, this is almost certainly 1926, as the bridge opened in December of that year.