SE 24th Avenue, circa 1932

Men working on the Harrison and Hawthorne Boulevard sewer repair. This image was taken at SE 24th Avenue between SE Stephens Street and SE Market Street, looking north, circa 1932.

 

Harrison and Hawthorne Boulevard sewer repair, SE 24th Avenue, circa 1932: A1999-004.470

Harrison and Hawthorne Boulevard sewer repair, SE 24th Avenue, circa 1932: A1999-004.470

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

Southeast Waterfront, 1955

Oregon is home to many archives, most rich with collections documenting Oregon’s history. In order to highlight some of these collections containing Portland-area images, Vintage Portland has invited photo submissions from other archives within the region. Today’s photo and text is provided by the Multnomah County Archives.

The southeast waterfront between the Morrison Bridge and the Hawthorne Bridge, looking south, 1955.

 

Southeast waterfront, 1955

Southeast waterfront, 1955

 

Access the Multnomah County Archives by clicking here.

The Columbian 3, circa 1950

The Columbian 3, an 1860’s fire engine, was pulled by firefighters who also worked the pump by hand. This photo was taken outside of Station 19 (6049 SE Stark Street), circa 1950. The engine is currently on display at the Fire Museum which is located at 35th Avenue and Belmont Street.

 

The Columbian 3, Circa 1950: A2001-083

The Columbian 3, Circa 1950: A2001-083

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

Mocks Bottom Barracks, circa 1945

An aerial view of Mocks Bottom barracks and the area near N Willamette Boulevard, N Killingsworth Street and N Greeley Avenue, circa 1945. Notice the building at the northeast corner of N Greeley Avenue and N Killingsworth Street – it was designed to accommodate the curve needed for the streetcar route. This route was no longer in use by the time this photo was taken, and the Bess Kaiser Hospital had not yet been built.

 

Aerial of Mocks Bottom Barrack, circa 1945: A2005-005.1416.9

Aerial of Mocks Bottom Barrack, circa 1945: A2005-005.1416.9

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

SW 5th Avenue, circa1932

Street widening at SW 5th Avenue and W Burnside Street, looking north, circa 1932.

 

Street widening at SW 5th Avenue and W Burnside Street, circa 1932: A1999-004.339

Street widening at SW 5th Avenue and W Burnside Street, circa 1932: A1999-004.339

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

Joseph Shemanski Fountain, 1967

The Joseph Shemanski Fountain is located in the South Park Blocks between SW Main Street and SW Salmon Street, 1967. Joseph Shemanski gave the fountain to the city in 1926. For more historical information on the fountain and the South Park blocks, click here.

 

Joseph Shemanski Fountain - South Park Blocks between SW Main Street and SW Salmon Street, 1967: A2001-066.219

Joseph Shemanski Fountain – South Park Blocks between SW Main Street and SW Salmon Street, 1967: A2001-066.219

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.