This Temple Beth Israel synagogue was built in 1888 on SW Main Street between 12th and 13th Avenues. Its two distinctive 125-foot towers were landmarks on Portland’s early skyline. It was destroyed by fire in 1928 and replaced by the congregation’s current building in Northwest Portland.
Ahavai Sholom Synagogue once stood on the northeast corner of SW Park Avenue and Clay Street. It was built in 1904 and sold when the congregation moved to a different location in 1952. It served various other purposes, including a gymnasium for Portland State University, until it was demolished in 1978.