Our Number Man finds himself on the sunny northwest corner of NE Broadway at 11th Avenue in this 1929 photo. This modern and tidy Standard Oil service station featured covered pumps on both sides of the sales booth plus covered service bays in the background.
The Oregon Centennial Exposition was held in 1959 to celebrate Oregon’s 100 years of statehood. The 65 acre site was previously the Pacific International Livestock Exposition, and is now home to the Portland Metropolitan Exposition Center.
Fairley’s Pharmacy is still on NE Sandy Blvd. at 72nd Avenue more than 70 years after this 1940 photo. Soda fountains were once a staple of American drug stores, and Fairley’s still advertises one on their sign. Is it still in fact there? This photo looks west on Sandy.
This view looks northeast at SW Broadway with traffic crossing eastbound on Columbia. The Oregonian Building is shown at center and the Hungerford Hotel is now the Regency Apartments. Compare this photo with the same intersection looking south in 1950.
Today we look south on SE 39th Avenue where it crosses Powell Blvd. We saw this intersection looking east in an earlier post. The 1935 photo showed a Signal gas station on the northeast corner; this would put a service station on at least three of the corners. Very competitive!
Ahavai Sholom Synagogue once stood on the northeast corner of SW Park Avenue and Clay Street. It was built in 1904 and sold when the congregation moved to a different location in 1952. It served various other purposes, including a gymnasium for Portland State University, until it was demolished in 1978.