There’s a lot of detail of this 1891 map of the Northwest Portland area now known as the Alphabet District, including Old Town/Chinatown and the Pearl District. The rail yards would eventually expand to the west but at this time they covered much of what is now the Post Office property. Note that the park blocks were bounded by “N. East Park” and “N. West Park” with “N. Eighth” to the west. Hand-lettered notations in red renumber the streets as we know them today.