Union Avenue, circa 1931

Yesterday I posted a view of a service station being cut back for the widening of Union Avenue. This is another view of the service station being cut back during another stage of the process.

 

Exterior view of service station being cut back for the Union Ave widening 1604 NE Martin Luther King Blvd, circa 1931: A2008-001.47

 

View this image in Efile by clicking here.

Union Avenue, circa 1931

This photograph provides an exterior view of Curtis Garage, circa 1931. Railroad ties were used to support the building as the service station was cut back to accommodate the widening of Union Avenue. The current address of this location is 1601 NE Martin Luther King Blvd.

 

Exterior view of Curtis Garage  1601 NE Martin Luther King Ave., circa 1931: A2008-001.48

Exterior view of Curtis Garage 1601 NE Martin Luther King Ave., circa 1931: A2008-001.48

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

E 33rd Avenue, 1932

 

East 33rd and Knott St., Jan. 4, 1932 : A2004-001.627

East 33rd and Knott St., Jan. 4, 1932 : A2004-001

 

Grant High Pharmacy was located on the corner of E 33rd Avenue and Knott Street. This January 4, 1932 image is from the “Report on Proposed System of Major Streets and Development of the Waterfront.”

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

Guild’s Lake Pumping Station, 1969

This image provides an aerial view looking northeast from the Guild’s Lake Pumping Station. The railroad bridge, the “cut,” Doane Lake, and St. Johns are visible. Also visible along Willamette Blvd. are the Water Bureau’s Alma and St. Johns Water tanks.

 

Looking northeast from the Guild’s Lake Pumping Station, March 11, 1969 : A2001-007.880

Looking northeast from the Guild’s Lake Pumping Station, March 11, 1969 : A2001-007.880

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

Lloyd District, 1964

This aerial gives a great perspective on the Lloyd District. Lloyd Center, Holladay Park, the Banfield Expressway, and Benson Polytechnic High School are visible.

 

Aerial view Lloyd Center area, April 24, 1964 : A2012-005

Aerial view Lloyd Center area, April 24, 1964 : A2012-005

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

NE Union Avenue and Russell Street, 1929

In this image, a number man is standing outside the building on the corner of NE Union (Martin Luther King Blvd.) and NE Russell. Although it has changed slightly, the building, built in 1909, is still standing. There are several businesses that are visible, including “W. R. Affleck” drug store and East Side X-Ray Laboratory.

 

NE Union [MLK Blvd] and Russell, 1929 : A2009-009.1041

NE Union [MLK Blvd] and Russell, 1929 : A2009-009.1041

View this image in Efile by clicking here.

 

MacMarr Store, circa 1931

Yesterday’s post featured a MacMarr Store, so we thought we’d show you another one that was located on the corner of NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. (Union Ave. at the time) and Shaver St. This building is still standing today.

 

Exterior view of MacMarr Stores  at 3979 NE Martin Luther King Blvd, circa 1931 : A2008-001.50

Exterior view of MacMarr Stores at 3979 NE Martin Luther King Blvd, circa 1931 : A2008-001.50

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.