SW Washington Street, circa 1927

View of the waterfront and SW Washington Street, looking west from the Willamette River, circa 1927.

 

 View of SW Washington Street looking west from the water, circa 1927: A2004-002.5653

View of SW Washington Street looking west from the water, circa 1927: A2004-002.5653

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

SW Harbor Drive, 1942

The men in this image are gathered for the opening of SW Harbor Drive, November 20, 1942. From left to right are Mayor Riley, Gus Bucholz, W.H. Lines, Herb Sichel, Commissioner Peterson, Henry Cabell, Robert Farrell, Philip H. Parrish, Mack. Second Row: Alec Aitken, Major Joseph K. Carson, Commissioner Kenneth L. Cooper, R.H. Baldock, and City Engineer Ben Morrow.

 

Opening of SW Harbor Drive, Nov. 20, 1942: A2010-019.110

Opening of SW Harbor Drive, Nov. 20, 1942: A2010-019.110

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

Portland Waterfront, circa 1918

Over the years, the Portland waterfront has transformed many times. Here is what the waterfront looked like circa 1918. This view is looking west, towards downtown Portland.

 

Portland waterfront and downtown looking west, circa 1918 : A2004-002.570

Portland waterfront and downtown looking west, circa 1918 : A2004-002.570

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

Portland Waterfront, 1935

This aerial from 1935, gives us a great view of the ships arriving at the Portland waterfront for the rose festival. In this image we see the old (second) Morrison Bridge, the Burnside Bridge, and the Steel Bridge. This is a wonderful example of what the waterfront once looked like before the waterfront park existed.

 

Aerial view of ships arriving for the Rose Festival in downtown Portland, 1935 : A2005-005.1396.3

Aerial view of ships arriving for the Rose Festival in downtown Portland, 1935 : A2005-005.1396.3

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

The Number Man, 1930

The number man is standing close to the Harbor Wall near Davis St., with the Steel Bridge in the background to the north. The structures on the left side of the image are on Front Ave.

 

Steel Bridge, 1930 :  A2009-009.2540

Steel Bridge, 1930 : A2009-009.2540

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.