Portland’s working men could get almost anything they needed on the corner of West Burnside and SW 5th in 1928. Clothing, shoes, raingear, hats and more could be found here. Step next door and get the shoes shined or a shave. There are several ghost pedestrians in this photo as well as a street sweeper with his broom and cart. This view is west on Burnside to the right and south on 5th to the left. The edge of this building can be seen on this previous post.
Tag Archives: Union Made
SW 4th & Ankeny, 1928
Just a short block to the south of this earlier post of West Burnside at 4th Ave. is this scene at SW 4th and Ankeny, also from 1928. This view is to the northeast and the Hirsch-Weis building is again visible to give you a reference point. This Union Gasoline station corner is a fantastic little glimpse of a long-gone Portland. Note the great flapper girl on the Felix Block jewelry sign gracing the wood-framed house.