Although this photo is labeled as “SE” Water Avenue, a close examination of the stamped concrete on the corner shows this to be the intersection of Water and Columbia Street, which is on the west side. The vantage point today is roughly the center of the bowl in Waterfront Park at the foot of Columbia Street.
Portland’s impressive Union Station is shown here in 1918, 22 years after its 1896 opening. The building itself has remained remarkably unchanged in 117 years but the forecourt, parking and roadways have changed many times over the years. The “Union Station” and “Go By Train” signs at the top of the clock tower were not installed until 1948.
We start the week with a terrific aerial view looking down on SE McLoughlin Blvd. where it crossed over SE Division St. in 1947. The old Inman, Poulsen Lumber Co. sawmill covers much of the lower right side of the image, stretching down to the Ross Island Bridge. The Consolidated Dairy Products plant and the Portland Coke & Gas Co. storage tanks can be seen farther inland. Recent realignment of the McLoughlin/MLK overpass allows the new Oregon Rail Heritage Center to sit just north of the extant Inman Poulsen office at photo center.
Sandbags formed a temporary dike to try to control water during the 1948 flood. This view looks southeast along the railroad tracks at Union Station from about NW Hoyt & 3rd Avenue. The partial building at far right was attached to the back of the extant fire station on Glisan and the ramp in the background leads to the Steel Bridge. You can see an aerial view of this area during the same flood in this earlier Vintage Portland post.