Looking west on SW Washington through its intersection with 3rd Avenue, we can see that streetcar and horse traffic were the main (or maybe only) modes of transportation in downtown Portland in 1910. The Dekum and Spalding Buildings straddle Washington in the foreground, while the Perkins Hotel at 5th Avenue can be identified by its pyramidal roof.
This nice rooftop view of SW 3rd Avenue looking north shows SW Alder Street and beyond. On the next block, the corner building was replaced by the Loyalty Building in 1928. Next in line is the Hamilton Building at mid-block and the Dekum Building. Beyond Washington Street is the Spalding Building.