Old Crosby House, 1910

The “Old Crosby House” was the first frame residence in Portland. According to “The Centennial History of Oregon, 1811-1912” this “first palatial residence in the new city” was built by Captain Nathaniel Crosby in 1847 on the southwest corner of 1st and Washington. It was later moved to this location on the east side of 4th Avenue between Yamhill and Taylor Streets. That location today is approximately the exit of the parking garage on that site.

(City of Portland Archives)