Early day Harley-Davidson motorcyclists gather in front of the Motorcycle & Supply Co. storefront at 209 Fourth Street (between Salmon and Taylor) circa 1912. A 1913 article in The Oregonian reports on the first endurance run by the Rose City Motorcycle Club, from Portland to Corvallis and back by 37 riders; perhaps it was this very event. Douglas Wilmot sent in this fabulous photo. His grandfather Albert E. Davis is the gentleman fourth from the right with the child, who Douglas is trying to identify, on the handlebars. Mr. Davis ran the B.E. Davis Electric Co. on Front Street at Oak in the 1920s-30s. The Rowland Hotel can also be seen in the distance in this photo.
Here’s an interesting 1912 photo of the Multnomah County Courthouse under construction. The first third of the exterior is complete in this view looking north on SW 4th Avenue from Madison. Note the mounted policeman in front of what looks like a private residence on the left, where the Portland Building now sits. Chapman Square is on the right.
Can anyone identify the dome on the left? The answer tomorrow.