It appears engineers used this circa 1938 aerial photo of the South Park Blocks area to pencil in a potential route for the Stadium Freeway. The area would grow into the PSU campus we know today. The 1911 Lincoln High School building, bottom-center between SW Broadway and Park, would be the college’s first building on campus.
The campus at Portland State College (now University) has undergone many changes over the decades. Vehicular traffic was still allowed on SW Park, now a pedestrian mall. Many buildings have either been replaced or drastically transformed; the Smith Memorial Student Union is now twice as tall as it was in 1959. This view looks north on SW Park from Harrison.