A classic shot of the Hollywood District looking east at NE Sandy from 39th Avenue. An interesting perspective on the Hollywood Theater (“Calling Dr. Kildare”) in that both its front and back are visible on either side of the triangular building at 40th and Broadway. Many classic signs in the image too.
It was perhaps Rose Festival Fleet Week that brought the USS Philadelphia to Portland in 1939. The light cruiser is tied up along the seawall at the foot of SW Salmon St. in front of the old Public Market building.
There is a surprisingly large number of these buildings still standing in the area of the 18th Avenue Circle where it meets SW Jefferson and Columbia at Goose Hollow. The Lincoln High School athletic field is under construction beyond the row of houses at center left, and the First United Methodist Church will fill in the lot in the immediate foreground. Note The Curtis at upper far right.