Cheerful Tortoise at 1939 SW 6th Ave, February 1964

Oregon is home to many archives, most rich with collections documenting Oregon’s history. In order to highlight some of these collections containing Portland-area images, Vintage Portland has invited photo submissions from other archives within the region. Today’s photo and text is provided by the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction Archives, Portland State University.

A snapshot of the Cheerful Tortoise, a long-time watering hole at PSU looking far older in 1964 than it does now. Any information on when the north addition to the building took place would be appreciated. This and some 300 other images comprising a block-by-block photographic documentary of the Portland State College district between 1962-1966 can now be found in PSU’s Digital Gallery.

Portland State, 1964

Oregon is home to many archives, most rich with collections documenting Oregon’s history. In order to highlight some of these collections containing Portland-area images, Vintage Portland has invited photo submissions from other archives within the region. Today’s post is provided by the Architecture, Engineering & Construction Archives at Portland State University.

This image captures Portland State’s early campus expansion period during the mid-1960s. Closest to us is the College Center building (now Smith Memorial Student Union) in the process of acquiring its next few levels and a library. The mansion across the street is the Jennings House sitting next to the Counseling and Testing Center and State Hall (later Cramer Hall). The Jennings House is where students registered for classes and rather than demolish it when Cramer Hall was expanded in 1969-1970, it was preserved and relocated a few blocks south to the corner of Broadway and Jackson where it burned down shortly thereafter. Also pictured is Old Main (now Lincoln Hall).

 

SW Park - SMSU, BA, CH, and LH, ca. 1964, Campus Photographic Inventory Records, Box 364, Architecture, Engineering & Construction Archives, Portland State University

SW Park – SMSU, BA, CH, and LH, ca. 1964, Campus Photographic Inventory Records, Box 364, Architecture, Engineering & Construction Archives, Portland State University

 

Access the PSU Architecture, Engineering, and Construction Archives by clicking here.

Copyright: This image is owned or held by the State of Oregon, acting by and through the State Board of Higher Education, on behalf of Portland State University, Capital Projects and Construction. It is made available to the public for educational and research use as defined within the parameters of “fair use” under U.S. Copyright law. By accessing, copying or downloading this file, you agree that your use falls within this definition of fair use. Any other use, including commercial reuse, mounting on other systems, or other forms of redistribution requires written permission from Capital Projects and Construction, display of the preferred citation, and the payment of any applicable fees.

“North” Portland, c1882

Circa 1882 Portland was only on the west side of the river as Albina and East Portland had not yet been annexed. To call this North Portland, as the label states, makes sense but it’s most definitely Southwest Portland now. The view is similar to this earlier VP entry where we look north on the block between SW 11th and 12th; The Old Church is nearing completion in the center. There are some handsome mansions fronting the South Park Blocks on the right; the side-by-side white Italianate homes belonged to brothers Ralph and Isaac Jacobs.

(City of Portland Archives)

SW 4th & Lincoln, 1965

This area around the PSU campus has grown up quite a bit since the mid-60s, especially east of 4th Avenue (which was part of the South Auditorium Urban Renewal District), but it’s still pretty recognizeable today. This view is north on 4th at Lincoln.

(City of Portland Archives)

Downtown from Portland Heights, c1976

By the late 1970s, Portland had two of its modern skyscrapers, the Georgia-Pacific building (center) and First National Bank Tower (right). There would be many more in the coming years. More large buildings would also fill in many areas in the foreground, especially on the PSU campus.

(University of Oregon Libraries)

SW Broadway & Columbia, 1950

There was a recent discussion about when Portland adopted a one-way grid downtown. Poncho gave the date of 1950 which is borne out by this photo showing new traffic control devices looking south on SW Broadway at Columbia. The one-way conversion had not been made south of this point. The Hungerford Hotel is now the Regency Apartments, and the Standard gas station only recently met it’s demise; it’s now an empty lot.

(City of Portland Archives)