We’ve seen this view before, in a photo taken eight years later from the same vantage point atop City Hall. This photo show more of the surrounding buildings in this view north up 5th Avenue. Many buildings are familiar today but a few (Congress Hotel and Cole McElroy’s Ballroom for two) met their fates many years ago.
Interesting perspective in this photo looking straight down on SW Broadway as it cuts through the heart of downtown in 1960 (south is up). The parking lot just left of center will become Pioneer Courthouse Square a quarter-century later. Very few blocks have escaped change in the last 50 years.
When Oregon pioneer Henry W. Corbett build his 1874 home on the block bounded by SW 5th and 6th Avenues, Yamhill and Taylor streets, he was far from the business center of Portland, then in the 1st and Pine area. The city center moved progressively southwest; in the mid-1930s his home was demolished to make way for the Greyhound bus depot. This view looks west from 5th with the old YMCA building in the background across 6th Avenue.