This rather Gothic industrial scene shows the Portland Gas Company complex in Northwest Portland in 1912. We’re facing southeast, with Front Avenue going off to the right and Flanders Street making its unimproved way to the Willamette River on the left. As rough as the Boss Saloon probably was, the little building seemed to have some nice architectural details. The 1894 Burnside Bridge can be seen in the background.
Early day Harley-Davidson motorcyclists gather in front of the Motorcycle & Supply Co. storefront at 209 Fourth Street (between Salmon and Taylor) circa 1912. A 1913 article in The Oregonian reports on the first endurance run by the Rose City Motorcycle Club, from Portland to Corvallis and back by 37 riders; perhaps it was this very event. Douglas Wilmot sent in this fabulous photo. His grandfather Albert E. Davis is the gentleman fourth from the right with the child, who Douglas is trying to identify, on the handlebars. Mr. Davis ran the B.E. Davis Electric Co. on Front Street at Oak in the 1920s-30s. The Rowland Hotel can also be seen in the distance in this photo.