Washington Park Zoo, circa 1966

Children standing by an alligator head garbage can at the Washington Park Zoo, circa 1966.

 

City of Portland (OR) Archives, A2001-030.3765.

City of Portland (OR) Archives, A2001-030.3765.

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

City Park Zoo, 1898

This was a bit of Portland’s City Park Zoo in 1898. The pond in the center was the water fowl exhibit and the bit of water seen to the left was the seal pond. Now a part of Washington Park, this little bit of land is in the very northeast corner of the park and is called The Dog Park. It faces W Burnside here where it begins its uphill climb; SW Osage St. is just off the right edge.

(City of Portland Archives)