Washington Park Zoo, 1963

Aerial of the Washington Park Zoo, 1963. The old OMSI (currently the Children’s Museum) site is visible as well. For those who remember the giant floral clock, it can be seen in the center of the image at the head of the parking area.

 

City of Portland (OR) Archives, A2004-001.1000.

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

SE Division & McLoughlin Blvd, 1947

We start the week with a terrific aerial view looking down on SE McLoughlin Blvd. where it crossed over SE Division St. in 1947. The old Inman, Poulsen Lumber Co. sawmill covers much of the lower right side of the image, stretching down to the Ross Island Bridge. The Consolidated Dairy Products plant and the Portland Coke & Gas Co. storage tanks can be seen farther inland. Recent realignment of the McLoughlin/MLK overpass allows the new Oregon Rail Heritage Center to sit just north of the extant Inman Poulsen office at photo center.

(City of Portland Archives)

Stephens Substation, c1930

Stephens Substation was part of the complex of six buildings that made up the Portland General Electric Company Station “L” Group. Station “L” was donated to Oregon Museum of Science and Industry in 1986. Still retained by PGE as an active distribution substation, Stephens Substation stands across SE Water Ave from OMSI’s planetarium.

(Library of Congress)

Marquam Bridge Construction, 1964

It’s almost hard to imagine today’s Riverplace and South Waterfront areas looked like this almost a half century ago. Construction of the west end of the Marquam Bridge passed over property that had seen highly industrial riverfront activity since Portland’s founding over a hundred years prior to this. The area once covered by Alaska Steel is still largely undeveloped but the SW Moody Project and TriMet’s light rail line signal further development.

(City of Portland Archives)