Morrison Bridge, Circa 1900

Today’s Morrison Bridge, completed in 1958, is actually the third Portland bridge to carry that name. The bridge shown here, a swing span bridge built in 1887, was Portland’s first bridge over the Willamette River and the longest west of the Mississippi River. The second Morrison Bridge, also a swing span, was completed in 1905. At that time it actually terminated on the west side at Morrison Street, as shown here (the present bridge lands between Alder and Washington). At right is the once-elegant New Esmond Hotel of 1889, and the 1887 Jennings Furniture Building on the left.

(City of Portland Archives)