Civic Stadium, circa 1974

Interior view of Civic Stadium during a Mavericks game, circa 1974. Since the time of this image the stadium has changed names three times: PGE Park (2001-2010), Jeld Wen Field (2011-2014) and Providence Park (2010-present). Before the stadium was known as Civic Stadium it was known as Multnomah Field (1893-1926) and Multnomah Stadium (1926-1965).

 

City of Portland (OR) Archives, A2001-045.1018.

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

Multnomah Stadium, 1961

This image comes from the Memorial Coliseum Dedication book. According to the book, this is the “Summer ski jump in Multnomah stadium-constructed by Safeway,” 1961. Multnomah Stadium is now Providence Park. This view is looking southeast toward Lincoln High School.

 

City of Portland Archives, Oregon, A2014-003.880

City of Portland Archives, Oregon, A2014-003.880

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

Multnomah Stadium, circa 1940

This aerial view shows the Multnomah Athletic Club and Multnomah Stadium as well as some of the surrounding area, circa 1940. On the right you can see SW 18th Avenue, while SW Salmon Street runs in front of the athletic club.

 

002.6793   Aerial View of Multnomah Stadium and the Multnomah Athletic Club

Aerial view of Multnomah Stadium and the Multnomah Athletic Club, circa 1940: A2004-002.6793

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

Downtown Aerial, 1963

It was a beautiful day in 1963 as Mt. Hood loomed over the Portland skyline. The Hilton Hotel was the tallest building in town, the freeway had not come to the west side and was only partly underway on the east side, and the Portland Beavers played baseball at Civic Stadium.

(City of Portland Archives)

West Burnside, 1947

This is a fairly well-detailed aerial photo from 1947. West Burnside cuts through the center from about 22nd Avenue at the bottom to 10th at the top. This was before I-405 sliced through Portland and gives a decent view of a few of the blocks that were lost. Multnomah Stadium (Civic Stadium/PGE Park) is prominent on the right.

(City of Portland Archives)