Pigeon Hole Parking, 1955

Pigeon Hole Parking came to Portland with the wave of parking-lot mania that swept the city in the 1950s. This one, at SW Stark and Park, lasted until the mid-60s when it was moved two blocks south to SW 9th and Alder. Like many of these parking systems, it was plagued by bad electrics that would strand cars until repairs could be made. The Stark and Park site is still a surface parking lot.

(City of Portland Archives)