Knott Street Community Center, 1951

Talent show rehearsal at Knott Street Community Center, 1951. The center was renamed Matt Dishman Community Center in the 1960s.

 

City of Portland (OR) Archives, A2001-045.597.

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

Eliot School, circa 1951

The Eliot School once stood where the Matt Dishman Community Center now stands. Portland Parks took over the building in 1950 and transformed it into the Knott Street Community Center. The building was later renamed the Matt Dishman Community Center.

 

Eliot School on N Knott, circa 1951 : A2001-030

Eliot School on NE Knott, circa 1951 : A2001-030

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

Knott Street Community Center, circa 1951

The photograph we have for you today was taken at the Knott Street Community Center, circa 1951. The center was renamed Matt Dishman Community Center in the late 1960s. There is a quote written on the back of this photograph stating, “Older adults, as well as girls and boys, keep the ping pong tables busy in the early evening hours at the Knott Street Center. Murals, the work of Oliver Dillner, one of the recreation supervisors at the center, show up nicely in this corner-of-the-room shot.” More information on the Matt Dishman Community Center can be found here.

Ping Pong at Knott Street Community Center, circa 1951 : A2001-045.668

Ping Pong at Knott Street Community Center, circa 1951 : A2001-045.668

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.