NW 10th Avenue Ramp, 1956

City crews work on the NW 10th Avenue ramp that lead from the old Lovejoy Street ramp down to street level. Both were removed in 1999 in a process that turned this former industrial/rail center into today’s Pearl District.

A1999-004.247 Lovejoy St Viaduct 10th southeast 1956(City of Portland Archives)

Westside Flood Waters, 1948

Spectators watch from the Broadway ramp as city crews work to build a temporary dike during the spring 1948 flood. It appears there was no Irving Street access to and from the ramp at that time. Union Station is over our right shoulder in this view to the west.

A1999-004.1051 temp flood control dike NW Irving at Broadway ramp 1948
(City of Portland Archives)

NW Hoyt at 11th, 1917

There’s great detail in this 1917 photo looking at NW Hoyt from 11th. Today’s Low Brow Lounge is now to our immediate right, North Bank Station just to our left. The Honeyman Hardware building is now lofts but the Manning Warehouse was demolished in 1996. The Steel Bridge can be seen in the distance.