SW 6th & Morrison, 1953

It could be holiday shoppers crowding the sidewalk outside the Meier & Frank building in 1953. The photo was taken from the top deck of the new parking lot that replaced the Portland Hotel (and was then replaced by Pioneer Courthouse Square). A block down 6th, the 1926 Bedell Building (now Cascade Building) seems to have a lovely two-story arched entrance that is no longer there.

(City of Portland Archives)

SW Morrison & 5th, 1907

Portland appeared to be a busy, progressive and prosperous city in this 1907 street scene looking west on SW Morrison at 5th Avenue. Pioneer Courthouse is on the immediate left and the Portland Hotel, site of today’s Pioneer Courthouse Square, looms in the distance beyond that. Meier & Frank would build their flagship store on the block to the immediate right.

(City of Portland Archives)