Yesterday’s location at SW Barbur Blvd. & Bancroft Street can be seen in this terrific aerial view from roughly above OHSU looking eastward. The main east-west street below us is Bancroft while Terwilliger and Barbur are the main streets that cross from left to right. The large building near the upper-right is the old Holman Public School. The manufacturing plant along the river sits about where the Old Spaghetti Factory and the South Waterfront district are now.
The people enjoying our spectacular autumn weather along Tom McCall Waterfront Park would little recognize the same scene 90-some years ago. The dock at the foot of SW Jefferson Street then held barrels of tar for paving projects; the waterfront still has this physical configuration at the south end of the pavement and seawall. Riverplace Hotel and marina now replace Northwestern Electric’s Lincoln Plant in the distance.
Recently we saw an aerial view of part of the Inman-Poulson Lumber Co. property along the east bank of the Willamette River. Today’s circa 1937 photo shows the freighter San Marcos tied up at the Inman-Poulson dock, loading sawn lumber for some unknown destination. It’s a fantastic photo, rich in detail, looking north
up down the river with the Portland skyline in the distance.
We start the week with a terrific aerial view looking down on SE McLoughlin Blvd. where it crossed over SE Division St. in 1947. The old Inman, Poulsen Lumber Co. sawmill covers much of the lower right side of the image, stretching down to the Ross Island Bridge. The Consolidated Dairy Products plant and the Portland Coke & Gas Co. storage tanks can be seen farther inland. Recent realignment of the McLoughlin/MLK overpass allows the new Oregon Rail Heritage Center to sit just north of the extant Inman Poulsen office at photo center.
Before the Port of Portland developed facilities on Swan Island, its shops and drydock were a bit downriver just north of the Burlington Northern bridge, nestled in a cove on the east bank of the Willamette River. Sanborn Maps also shows “Western Cooperage Co, Barrel Stock Factory” alongside the elevated BN tracks. The cove, off N. Edgewater Street, is empty property today but shows signs of earlier habitation such as concrete slabs and pilings in the water. The railroad bridge’s original stationary spans are still in place but the swing-span was replaced with a lift-span in 1989.