Lots of people out and about on SW Madison between 5th and 6th in this 1950 photo. The Milwaukee bus may have just dropped some passengers, women with kids out shopping perhaps, car repair decisions being made, and IBM and Lincoln/Mercury/Cadillac sales indicate an active, mid-century city before the high-rises are built.
Except for the Ambassador Apartment Building in the distant center, it’s hard to identify this as Portland. A half-block parking lot now covers the ground on our immediate right, while the Gus J. Solomon United States Courthouse is just out of view beyond that. Everything on the left is replaced by shiny high-rises.