The Kamm Estate once was located on the present-day Lincoln High School property, and the Jacob Kamm House, built in 1871, was at SW 14th and Main. To make way for Lincoln High construction, the house was moved to its present Goose Hollow site (SW 20th just off Jefferson) in 1950. It fell into decline but was restored in the 1980s. It can be see in its original Kamm Estate surroundings in this previous posting from 1894. The house to the right no longer exists.
One of the grandest mansions in Northwest Portland was the home of Captain George H. Flanders which stood on the block bounded by NW 19th and 20th Avenues, Flanders and Glisan Streets. This view looks northwest from 19th and Flanders. Designed by Justus F. Krumbein and built in 1882, it was replaced in 1926 by the extant Temple Beth Israel. Much of the rock wall pictured here is still in place. Seen in the background is the belvedere atop the home of Cicero Hunt Lewis on the block between Glisan and Hoyt (now Couch Park).