SW Broadway downtown was a one-way street until it reached Columbia Street in 1950 (here looking north). South of here Broadway was still two-way. A little more discussion about changing to a one-way grid is here in this earlier post.
Interesting perspective in this photo looking straight down on SW Broadway as it cuts through the heart of downtown in 1960 (south is up). The parking lot just left of center will become Pioneer Courthouse Square a quarter-century later. Very few blocks have escaped change in the last 50 years.
Remarkably unchanged in 75 years, this view is south on NW 9th from Johnson Street. What’s known today as the Jean Vollum Natural Capital Center, the building on the right was called Central Truck Terminal in 1936.
A lot has changed in Portland since 1935 but this view north on SW Broadway from Madison Street has enough landmarks to make it recognizable today. The most notable changes are the Portland Center for the Performing Arts building now on the left, and the 1000 Broadway building that replaced the Broadway Theater on the right.