SW 2nd & Alder, 1939

The finer parts of Portland had moved a few blocks south and west by 1939, leaving this section of SW 2nd looking south toward Alder the realm of the working man. Work clothes, billiards, Army surplus and hardware stores mixed with restaurants, hotels and drug stores. Anybody remember the old Dahl & Penne Card Room (awning on the left behind the hardware sign)? It came down in the mid-1980s.

(City of Portland Archives)