This illustration was a competitive design for the Chamber of Commerce building by architects Parkinson & Hamme; its final shape and scale would be similar but the details would be considerably less Gothic. Completed in 1892, the building would eventually dominate the north side of SW Stark between 3rd and 4th Avenues.
East side business groups had designs for a grand auditorium and museum on their side of the river in 1913. They asked the city to build it somewhere in a large area bounded north-south by Broadway and Hawthorne and east-west by 12th Avenue and the river. Seems the businessmen were a bit miffed that all the public buildings were being going up on the west side. This never got off the ground.
This is likely the family that ran the Columbia Restaurant somewhere in Portland circa 1931. The City of Portland Archives is trying to find the location of this shop. There’s not much to go on other than the name and the address “211” above the door. Good luck!
Found: NE 4th Avenue, Camas, WA
The Jacob Kamm house is shown here on its move from its original site near SW 14th and Salmon, to where it now rests on SW 20th Avenue. This view is west on Salmon Street. The Zion Lutheran Church can be seen in the distance on the right, and the cluster of homes on the left of the image is still intact along SW Madison at 18th. This is another great photo sent by Bud Holland.
The 1891 Hotel Perkins stood on the northeast corner of SW 5th and Washington until 1962 when it was replaced by the Washington Center building (Key Bank is the prime tenant now). An excellent view of the hotel and its surroundings can be seen just left of center in this 1892 panorama.
(City of Portland Archives)
This lovely little 1878 cast-iron-fronted building was photographed in 1967 when it graced a Portland street. Its name and precise location are both unrecorded but a couple of subtle clues allow you to zero in on a location. Did you reach the same conclusion as I did? As always, happy hunting!