Portland’s working men could get almost anything they needed on the corner of West Burnside and SW 5th in 1928. Clothing, shoes, raingear, hats and more could be found here. Step next door and get the shoes shined or a shave. There are several ghost pedestrians in this photo as well as a street sweeper with his broom and cart. This view is west on Burnside to the right and south on 5th to the left. The edge of this building can be seen on this previous post.
The buildings that lined West Burnside at the approach to the Burnside Bridge in 1933 are all pretty much still standing. There’s now a center divider and trees line the streets but it’s still recognizable. This view looks east and the tracks crossing left-to-right are at 3rd Ave.