Kamm Block, circa 1900

The 1884 Kamm Block was one of Portland’s most richly decorated cast-iron buildings. It was situated on the north side of SW Pine St. between Front and 1st Avenue; this undated photo looks northwest. The building had an imposing tower above its mid-block entry; an 1892 fire destroyed that. Another fire, this time in 1939, destroyed the eastern end of the building. The remaining, 1st Avenue end, was demolished in 1948. As is so often the case, the site is a surface parking lot today.

(University of Oregon Libraries)