NE Union & Graham, 1929

This old building on the northwest corner of NE Union at Graham Street had quite a distinctive look. The photographer managed to capture a few of the neighborhood denizens, including the two children watching from the second floor window.

A2009-009.1039 NE Union & Graham 1929(City of Portland Archives)

Questionable Location, c1932

This circa 1932 photo is labeled as “SE 50th, Foster & Powell” but it doesn’t seem to match any previous photos we’ve seen of that location. We need some VP sleuths to confirm this location or to identify the real location. Good luck!

Update: This location is correct. The view is looking west on SE Powell with 50th (and the Foster Road trolley tracks) crossing in front of us. Trees up ahead indicate Creston Park. Good work everyone!

A2009-009.900 SE 50th, Foster & Powell c1932(City of Portland Archives)

N Larrabee & Broadway, 1937

At one time N. Larrabee turned into Interstate Avenue as you crossed Broadway heading north; Interstate is routed closer to the river now. You might drive here when leaving the Memorial Coliseum or Rose Garden but the surroundings have changed drastically; only the building under the Rose City/Beaver State sign remains.

A2005-001.80 N Broadway from Larrabee towards Interstate 1937(City of Portland Archives)

NE Broadway & 11th, 1929

Another man holding another number. Perhaps this was to document the sad state of repairs of the curb and street paving along NE Broadway at 11th Avenue in 1929. The East Side Franklin Authorized Service Station referred to the Franklin automobile, manufactured between 1902 and 1934.

A2009-009.3272 Building 1105 NE Broadway 1929(City of Portland Archives)

NE Alberta & 15th, 1954

Decades before NE Alberta Street became a funky shopping and dining area, it was just another Portland neighborhood artery. This photo shows what Alberta looking west at NE 15th Avenue was like in 1954. The stylish gent posing on the sidewalk may have been foretelling how hip the street would become.

(City of Portland Archives)

SE Belmont & 25th, 1959

SE Belmont Street at 25th Avenue is a bit leafier today but still looks much the same as it did in 1959. Belmont traffic is one-way eastbound until the intersection at 25th where traffic becomes two-way from that point on.

(City of Portland Archives)

SW 3rd & Salmon, 1993

The “Just Us” restaurant and tavern, in this small building at SW 3rd & Salmon, was probably a hangout for the area’s legal professionals before this block was torn down for the Mark O. Hatfield United States Courthouse. It was flanked by the Geneva Hotel and Hamilton Hotel. This view is to the southeast.

(Library of Congress)