918 N. Mississippi Avenue, 1932

It must be back-to-school time for Carl Opperman, standing in front of his grocery and confectionery shop at 918 N. Mississippi Avenue in 1932. Renumbered as 4236 N. Mississippi, that building now houses a laundromat on the southeast corner of Mississippi at Skidmore Street.

A2008-001.24 Carl Opperman Grocery 4236 N Mississippi Ave 1930(City of Portland Archives)

SW Main & 6th, 1936

This 1936 photo looks west on SW Main Street from 6th Avenue. The Broadway Theater is just behind the Mobilgas billboard, and the old Masonic Temple Building, now the Mark Building and part of the Portland Art Museum, is in the left distance.

(City of Portland Archives)