SW 4th Avenue, 1973

Two views from almost identical spots atop City Hall on SW 4th Avenue between Jefferson and Madison show the block across the street before and after clearing in 1973. The block is now Terry Schrunk Plaza, named for Portland’s mayor from 1957 to 1973.

Buildings on SW 4th Ave east of City Hall 1973
Federal building site [Schrunk Plaza] 01 1973(City of Portland Archives)

SW 1st & Taylor, 1973

This photo shows how many of Portland’s 19th Century buildings had been allowed to decay over the following century. Fortunately they weren’t all demolished; although the photo is labeled “2nd Avenue and Yamhill Street,” this is probably the northwest corner of the extant 1880 Mikado Block at  SW 1st and Taylor.

SW 2nd and Yamhill 16617 1973(University of Oregon Libraries)