When we last visited the 1881 Ainsworth Block it was enjoying its final intact days. In this photo shortly after demolition began in 1955, the third floor had already been removed and the second floor was not far behind. The site of one of Portland’s grandest cast-iron structures is still a surface parking lot at SW 3rd and Oak.
When Portland businessman John C. Ainsworth constructed his bank building in 1881, it was the most expensive, at $100,000, to date. It stood on the northwest corner of SW 3rd and Oak until 1955 when it was demolished for the surface parking lot that is still there. Read more about this fine building on Dan Haneckow’s Cafe Unknown.